Sunday, March 27, 2011

Memo From The Hospital

By Al-Amin Ciroma

I was recently struck down with an ailment of such sudden onset and viciousness, that the only rational explanation I could come up with was a normal malaria/typhoid sickness. Going to the hospital is normal, most especially when one drives himself into the premises to see his doctor, probably to seek an advice and drive back home and that was exactly what I thought it could be, but minutes after seeing my doctor, I was immediately given a bed. That’s it I thought! It began at the very time when everybody was preparing for ‘Eid-el-Kabir’ celebration. My doctor therefore, confirmed that it was a assiduous typhoid after the primary test conducted immediately at his laboratory.

My dear brothers and sisters, I am not just telling a story, but to remind us on the etiquette of sickness as thought by the Holy Prophet Muhammad (may Allah Ta'ala be pleased with him and his purest progeny [ahlul-bait - AS]) and how to seek refuge in Allah (SWT) on the ailment. In a Hadith, it was reported that When the Prophet (SAW) would see a pimple on his body he would seek refuge in and humble himself to Allah. He would be asked: “Does it matter, O Messenger of Allah?” He (SAW) would say that “If Allah Ta’ala wanted to turn a minor concern into a major one, He could; and if He (SWT) wanted to turn a major concern into a minor one, He (SWT) could.”

Again, in a related development, Imam Ja'far as-Sadiq(as) said: Truly, there no ache, misfortune, headache or malady but because of a misdeed (sin); and that is (found) in Allah’s saying: “Whatever affliction may visit you is for what your hands have earned; and He pardons much.” And what Allah pardons is more than what He punishes for.” He (as) said: “When the believer experiences a single episode of fever, his sins would fall off as tree leaves would; and if he becomes bed-ridden, his moaning is counted as ‘Tasbeeh’ (glorifying Allah Subhanu wa Ta’ala).”

Accordingly, Ahadiths from the holy Prophet (SAWA) referred ailment as fair share of affliction. In a hadith, (SAWA) said: “What a perfect ailment fever is! It gives each organ its fair share of the affliction; and there is no good in someone who is not afflicted.” He (S) continued, “Having a single sleepless night from an ailment is superior to, and greater in reward than a year’s worship.”

The period I was hospitalised as a result of the unfortunate typhoid fever that resulted into two different series of surgeries gave me another insight and continued imminent of what life means to human beings. Not only that, I come to reflect on different issues pertaining life and death, probably more than before. For almost two months I was wrecked with the sickness and shakes and revolting gastric symptoms, I subsisted on just little spoons of liquids fluid; I was reduced to crawling in the bed since I felt too dizzy to sit up or walk around the hospital premises. This sudden event happened to me at a time when I prepared my travel documents to honour an invitation in Cairo and far away Jordan to attend some international get-together by experts in my field of practice, and most interestingly, I was the only Nigerian invited to such important gatherings, but I could not attend any of them. I momoured, but equally thanked Allah Ta’ala and offered prayers to Him for sparing my life out of the complicated surgeries. Again, that exactly remind me of some sick ryrics by Skip James, saying:
The doctor came, lookin' very sad
The doctor came, lookin' very sad
Your doctor came, lookin' very sad
He diagnosed my case
And said it was awful bad

He walked away, mumblin' very low
He walked away, mumblin' very low
He walked away, mumblin' very low
He said, 'May get better
But he never get well, no mo'

I hollered, 'Oh Lord, Lord, Lordy, Lord
Oh Lordy, Lord, Lord, Lord'
Oh Lordy, Lord, Lord, Lord'
I been so badly misused
An treated just like a dog

I've got a long trip
And I'm just too weak to ride
I got a long trip
And I'm just too weak to ride
I got a long trip
An I'm just too weak to ride
Now it's a thousand people
Standin' at my bedside


All the same, I wish to register my appreciation to all friends and well wishers, who constantly kept praying and offering best wishes in those trying times for my quick recovery. May Allah (SWT) in His infinite mercies reward you abundantly. I also wish to announce that this column (ISLAMIC PERSPECTIVE), which suffered little absence from my 'disappearance' shall continue flooring as I am now recovering, even though, receiving last minute treatment. May Allah Ta’ala guide us to the right path, amen. To all, I wish you happy new Islamic and ‘Miladiyya’ calendars (1432 and 2011).

__________
Published January 7, 2011 in my Islamic Perspective column in LEADERSHIP

No comments: